Friday, April 20, 2012

30 Day Photography Challenge: Day 20 | Bokeh


Bokeh.  Bokeh bokeh bokeh.
I most likely sound like I have lost it, huh?

According to Wikipedia, bokeh is "the blur or the aesthetic quality of the blur,in out-of-focus areas of an image."

According to all you normal folk... Bokeh is that cool polka dot affect.

In all actuality, bokeh isn't only those awesome out of focus polka dots that look like a party.  It is anything set out of focus by your camera.  Mainly, your aperture.  The more open the aperture, the better chance to get awesome bokeh.

Set up some Christmas lights or the such in the distance, and the bokeh becomes polka dots.
Voila.

I decided to peruse around the internet and read/listen to various tutorials on bokeh.  (Look at that, Jenni is learning.)  After gathering notes and ideas, I set up my hallway to become a bokeh studio.  Let me tell you, it was quite fun.  Christmas lights, a stool, a jar, a black blanket, and my handy tripod.  I was in bokeh heaven.

I love the magical, fire fly like aspect I managed to catch.  
All thanks to my 50mm, f1.8 lens.  I love you lens. *moment*

Now I am on a bokeh high and wanting to find more chances to explore this awesome photography trick.
And no, don't ask me how to pronounce it.  No one quite knows how. 

BOKEH.


After I had exhausted my hallway, I set up another bokeh studio in my bathroom.  The candle I photographed means alot to me.  I made it on the Pioneer Trek I attended when I was fourteen.  That trek made a huge, important impact in my life.  This candle I keep in a sconce above my bed.  And photographing it in all the bokeh heaven... I had a moment.  I will admit it.


I love this shot (though it didn't quite win for my photo of the day) and even had some fun adding words to it for a little sentimental affect.  Seriously thinking of printing it now, hanging it, remembering it.  Here I go, having a moment again...




1 comment:

  1. Totally awesome! So creative! Love the feeling that the lights are shooting out of the jar or vase. :-)

    ReplyDelete