Friday, April 27, 2012

30 Day Photography Challenge: Day 27 | From a Distance


Kids are pretty much impervious to rain.  Did you know that?
I decided to take my kiddos to the park today.  Both to get them out of our small apartment, and also to try and get my shot for the day.  Just after we got to the park (which is only across the street mind you) it started to drizzle.  Then rain.  I asked my kids if they wanted to go home, but I don't think they even heard me.  They were having the time of their lives.

Due to the rain though, I barely got any photos.  

What did I learn today?
Well, for one: Don't challenge the weather forecast.

And two:  My kit lens has lost its appeal.  True story.

I have been using solely my kit lens (18-55mm) this entire last year.  It does a good job and can capture some amazing photos.  Then a little bit back, I bought my nifty fifty.  And that was the end of that.  What a pretty little prime lens.  What a wonder...

I decided to use my kit lens today solely because I knew how much my kids move and wanted the chance to zoom when needed.  Taking the time to frame the 50mm with my two boys, no one else there helping me maintain them, in the semi rain sounded like a bad idea.

Now, looking back on it, I wish I had just tried.  While I do love the shots I managed to snap before I hid my camera from the rain, I know my 50mm could have gotten such a better final product.

Man, I cannot wait to order my 24-70mm.  I drool just at the thought of it.

Still, it was fun.
Reminding myself over and over to get that "from the distance" shot helped me view my kiddos in a different light.  I wasn't in their faces, fighting for that cute smile or up-close moment.  I just stood back and let them be.

And look what I managed to capture.  My two boys take a juice break, happy as can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment