Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Taking a Break


 I have mentioned that there are some changes on the horizon for Jenni Merritt Photography.
And if you are here, you want to know what they are.  Ready?

Here it is:
Jenni Merritt Photography is taking a break.


"But why?" you ask.
I love photography.  I love capturing the moment.  I love getting to know my clients, being allowed to be part of their lives for that short time, and being able to capture those memories so they last forever.  It has been something I have adored for a long time.  And over the last few years, I have grown.  I have learned.  I have come to realize that this is a talent I have indeed been blessed with.  I have grown in confidence, in technique, and of course in my clientele.

This last year has been amazing with photography.  I have been so blessed with so many jobs.  Those clients who hired me: Thank you!  You are all such gorgeous people!  

This being said...
With the boom of photoland, my life has been consumed.  Sessions.  Bookings.  Editing editing editing.  Don't get me wrong, this is completely awesome.  But I have come to realize that at this point in my life, I am not ready to balance everything.

- I am an independently published author.  I have loved writing since before I can even remember, and it is my dream to write books, many many books.  With one book out, the sequel in the editing stage, two other books waiting to be edited and another slated to be written this winter...  That is an entire life right there.  Sadly, this last year my writing has been pushed so far to the back burner that it has pretty much not existed.  My blog has been left untouched.  My sequel is behind schedule for its publication.  I can't remember the last time I sat down to write... and this just doesn't work.

- I am a stay at home mom.  My little boys are growing so fast right now.  One second they are babies, they next they are prepping to start Kindergarten.  I can't believe how amazing these little boys are of mine.  And  lately, more often than not, I am missing it.  I am editing on my computer for the never-ending backlog, off on yet another photo session, and rarely find myself just snuggling and playing like I want and they need.

- I haven't been taking personal photos anymore.  The photos of my little boys, our day to day lives, everything about us have petered out to nada.  The main reason I ever started photography was to document my family.  And that has not been happening anymore.

- My computer is dying.  It is in major need of a complete overhaul.  Some driver keeps failing, and just running Lightroom has become a tedious task.  Sadly, I need to save up money before this can be fixed.

- And mostly... I am getting burnt out.  I am feeling less and less excited to snap.  I am dragging on my editing, and feeling far from inspired.  The fire is fizzling.  This is not fair for me, for this passion, and far from fair for my clients.


  • So what does this break mean?

This means that I will be cutting back on the clientele I take on.  I am needing time to focus on my writing and, most of all, my kids.  My sequel needs to be released.  My creative, personal side of photography needs to be explored.  My babies need to wrestle and cuddle while they are young and still wanting it.  Honestly: I am needing a breather.  Balancing everything with my photography at this moment in time just isn't working.  And I need to figure it out.


  • For how long?

I honestly cannot say.  As long as it takes.


  • Oh, and about Weddings...

This is something I have really been thinking over.  Weddings are a beautiful thing.  They are so important, they are that big day we all dream about, and boy are they gorgeous to capture.  I have done a good handful of them now and I love them.  Yet I can tell you one more thing I have learned about wedding photography: It is a whole different ballpark.  A high-speed, high-stress, and high-expectation type one.  While you will still see some big days snapped by yours truly in the future, I have decided:  I am no longer advertising myself as being a wedding photographer.  We as artists find our niches.  And while I adore weddings beyond words, I am gracefully bowing out from that photographer pool.


  • Will this Affect YOU?

Maybe.  I will still take on clients here and there.  But there will be much more pickiness before I say yes to the booking.  I will be looking for sessions that pull at my artistic side, with themes, outfits, something behind them that I just can't resist.  Aside from that, for this time being, I will be turning down much more potential sessions.  So yes, this just may affect you.  And I apologize right now.  It is nothing against any of you beautiful people.  This is just me, making an artistic and personal choice, until I can better balance all my passions.


  • Is JMP gone for good?

Goodness no!  I am still here, and will never completely stop.  I will still be posting from the sessions I do here and there.  I will definitely be posting more personal works.  And when the time comes, I will be back in full force.


I keep asking why I have to have so many passions.  Someone recently told me it is because I have such a big heart, it takes more to fill it up.  I like that.  

There.  It has all been said.  I hope I covered all the grounds.  If you have any questions, please feel free to comment here, message me on Facebook, or email me.  Again, I thank everyone for their support and love of what I create.  You have made me what I am.  

Remember: Just Smile


No comments:

Post a Comment